Methodism began in the
Rose Hill vicinity with people meeting at a schoolhouse known as
Spring Creek School, located five miles west of Rose Hill. The
Spring Creek Class was organized in January of 1876, by Sullivan Clard, president of the Methodist Protestant Kansas Conference.
McCoin was the first pastor. No records could be located prior
to 1881. That year, the Spring Creek Circuit was formed with
classes at Spring Creek, McCluggage, College Corners, Maple
Creek and Douglass Pleasant Hill. At one time, Prairie Grove and
Providence were also part of the circuit.
A parsonage was built in 1882, at Douglass, Kansas. It must
have been a financial burden to the circuit, because in 1890
it was sold for taxes. Money
was scarce at that time, so a pastor might simply share in the
crops rather than get paid cash. Pastor Ongette agreed to a
salary of $200 in 1885.
name of Spring Creek was changed to Rose Hill on August 9, 1889.
This was the year the Santa Fe Railroad came through. Old Rose
Hill moved one mile west to the
new Rose Hill Class bought ground from Mr. Berry and built a
church building. Perry Silknitter and Mr. Oldham were the
carpenters, assisted by the men of the congregation.
names appearing on the deed were H.A. Baker, Elias Mitchell, and
H.P. Silknitter. The pastor was T. G. Shepherd. A class holding
services at Prairie Grove schoolhouse joined the circuit at Rose
Hill at that time.
Ladies Aid Society was organized in 1890 with Sister Harris as
president. A Christian Endeavor Society was organized in 1894
and a Women's Foreign Missionary Society was organized in 1894.
Bud Class was organized in 1898 and became a part of the Rose
Hill Methodist Protestant Circuit.
lots north of the church were purchased and a parsonage was
built in 1901. The structure stood until late 1972 and served as
home for the parsonage families until a new modern brick home
was built on North Rose Hill Road in 1965.
Hill was made a station in 1909 under the ministry of E.M.
Snyder. There were 41 names on the roll at that time. Pleasant
Hill and Red Bud were left as a circuit.
1929 the Red Bud Building had been disbanded and was moved to
Rose Hill. It was attached to the west end of the Rose Hill
sanctuary and used as a combination fellowship hall and Sunday
Methodist Protestant Annual Conference was twice entertained by
Rose Hill; once in 1922, with D.M. Pentz as pastor, and again in
1939 with J.L. Whitney as pastor. The latter was an important
10, 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist
Episcopal Church South, and the Methodist Protestant Church
united and became the Methodist Church. Rose Hill changed from
Methodist Protestant to Methodist.
1881 until the present, 43 pastors have served the people,
called Methodists, in Rose Hill. The longest pastorate was Paul
Johnson (1977-1989). E.M. Snyder and J.T. Shepherd were called
back for second pastorates. The Quarterly Conference recommended
E. Dale Dunlap to the Annual Conference for a license to preach
A brick veneered
educational building was built in 1956 and dedicated in 1962. It
included a pastor's study, classrooms, a kitchen and a
fellowship hall. It was erected in the lot north of the old
wooden church and was designed so a new sanctuary might be
attached some day,
In 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the
Methodist Church united to form the United Methodist Church.
church building, which was erected in 1889, was torn down in
order to build a new sanctuary with a basement. The congregation
moved into the new sanctuary in June of 1974. It was attached to
building and extended south. The basement held classrooms.
1996, a member of the congregation, Nancy McFall, began a
preschool in the fellowship hall of the church. It was named the
"Wee Rockets" Preschool.
1998, Ivan and Charlene Rexroat, members of the Rose Hill United
Methodist Church, donated ten acres of land, south of the city
of Rose Hill, to the church to be used to build a new church
building. In May of 2001 the Rose Hill congregation consecrated
a new sanctuary/multi-purpose room and began meeting in the new
building. The building also contained a kitchen, parlor, choir
room, restrooms, offices, large foyer and storage space. Members
of the church helped finish the educational wing and it's
dedication was held in
September of 2001.
Our current membership numbers
450+. As soon as the present building is paid for, the
congregation plans to build a dedicated sanctuary.
The old church building has been renovated and is now the
Wee Rockets Child Development Center with a preschool, latch key and child care center on the main floor and a teen center in the basement. A grant from the United Methodist Health Ministry Fund was given to the church in order for the building to be
renovated and the programs expanded.
Copyright © 2003 Rose Hill United Methodist Church. All rights reserved.